Check all details about the NTA UGC NET June 2021 exam on this page. Find the latest updates such as updated NET syllabus, NET result, Answer Keys, Exam Pattern, etc for the National Eligibility Test.
- 1st October 2021: NTA has again rescheduled the UGC NET exam. Now the exam will be conducted from 17th October to 25th October 2021. Please check the notice in the reference section at the end of the article.
- 03rd September 2021: NTA has rescheduled the NTA NET exam due to the clash of some other examination. Civil Services Preliminary examination 2021 is also scheduled for 10th October 2021. Now the UGC NET exam will be conducted from 6 to 8 October and 17 to 19 October 2021.
- 10th August 2021: National testing agency has started the online application process for NTA NET June 2021 cycle. UGC NET December 2020 cycle will also be merged with the UGC NET June 2021. The online application process has started on 10th August 2021 and forms can be submitted until 6th September 2021. You may check new exam dates and the online application processes on our website.
- 20th April 2021: NTA has shared a notice to postpone the NTA NET exam which was scheduled to be conducted between 2 May to 17 May 2021. This step has been taken due to the present situation of the Covid-19 second wave. New dates will be notified later on the official website.
- 3rd March 2021: NTA has extended the last date to apply for the NTA NET exam. Now candidates can submit their online applications until 9th March 2021.
- 2nd February 2021: National Testing Agency has released the NTA NET June 2021 exam Information brochure. The online application process has also started on 2nd February 2021. Candidates can check all National Eligibility Test details on this page.
- 28th December 2020: National Testing Agency has released the CSIR NET result for the June 2020 session.
Candidates from the science stream can apply for the CSIR UGC NET Exam.
What is UGC NET exam?
The National Eligibility Test (NET) is a national level competitive exam conducted by the National Testing Agency on behalf of the University Grant Commission two times a year to determine the candidate’s eligibility for the post of “Assistant Professor only” or “JRF & Assistant Professor both” in Indian Universities and Colleges.
Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) used to conduct the UGC NET exam till 2018. From December 2018 onwards, NTA was given the responsibility to conduct the NET exam. NTA NET exam is conducted twice a year in online mode generally in the month of June and December. Previously it was conducted in offline mode.
Candidates qualified for Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) get an e-certificate/ JRF award letter issued by the UGC and can be downloaded from ecertificate.nta.ac.in.
Also, check the Common Eligibility Test – NRA CET full details
National Eligibility Test is considered one of the toughest exams in India with a success ratio of only 4-5&. NET qualification is mandatory to become Assistant Professor or Professor in Indian Universities and Government colleges.
NET exam overview
|Exam Name||University Grants Commission – National Eligibility Test|
|Conducted by||National Testing Agency|
|Mode of Exam||Online – CBT|
|Medium of Exam||English and Hindi|
|Exam Duration||180 minutes (Without any break in Paper-1 & Paper-2)|
|Number of questions||150|
|Exam Purpose||To check the candidate’s eligibility for Assistant Professor or Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor both in Indian universities and colleges|
|Exam Helpdesk No.||0120-6895200, 011-40759000|
|Helpdesk Email Id||[email protected]|
|Official Net Website||https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in|
|Address for Correspondence||Block C-20/1A/8, Sector 62,|
Gautam Buddh Nagar, Noida -201309 (UP)
NTA NET exam date:
National Testing Agency has released the official notification for June 2021 Exam. All important exam dates like the Application date, Exam Date, etc can be found below.
Please check the exam date given below:
|Sr. No.||Event||Exam date 2021|
|1||Notification release||02nd February 2021|
|2||Starting of Online Application||10th August 2021|
|3||Last date to submit the online application form||6th September 2021|
|4||Last Date of Fee Payment||6th September 2021|
|5||Application Form correction window||7th September to 12th September 2021|
|6||Release of the Admit Card||Will be updated|
|7||Exam date 2021||17th to 25th October 2021|
|8||Answer Key Date||Will be updated|
|9||Final Result||Will be updated|
UGC has released the official exam pattern along with the official notification. There will be two papers in the NTA-NET 2021 exam and the total duration of the exam will be 3 hours. Candidates will have to attempt both exams without any break.
|Sr. No.||NET Paper||Number of Questions||Total Marks|
Check full details about the NTA NET exam pattern in the linked article.
Candidates must check the NET exam syllabus for a better understanding of the type of questions asked in the exam. The syllabus for Paper-1 is similar for all candidates and includes 10 sections. Syllabus for the Paper-2 will be based on the subject candidates selected while filling the online Application form.
Download the NET syllabus Paper-1 and Paper-2 pdf from the below-given link and start your exam preparation right away.
Please find the latest NET syllabus in the linked article. The syllabus is given in PDF file format. Candidates can download the syllabus pdf according to their subject.
NTA NET Eligibility Criteria is decided by the University Grant Commission (UGC). Eligibility criteria are different for ‘Assistant Professor only’ and “JRF & Assistant Professor both”. Candidates will get the option to select the post while submitting the online application form. Candidates must check the eligibility criteria before applying for any post.
|General/ EWS||55% aggregate in the Master’s Degree|
|ST/ SC/ OBC/ PwD/ Transgender||50% aggregate in the Master’s Degree|
|Junior Research Fellow||Candidates should not be more than 30 years as of June 1, 2020.|
|Assistant Professor||There is no upper age limit for Assistant Professor.|
Full details about the NET Eligibility Criteria can be found in the linked article.
Online Application Form 2021
If you want to apply for the NET exam then the first step is to apply online at the official website. Only online applications will be accepted. Other modes of application will get rejected by the agency.
Please check the online application fee details given below. The application fee for General category candidates is Rs. 1000/-, for General EWS, OBC candidates are Rs. 500/-, and for SC/ ST/ PwD candidates is Rs. 250/- + Transaction charges.
|SC/ST/ PwBD candidates||250/- +Transaction Charges +GST|
|General EWS, OBC||Rs. 500/-|
|General candidates||Rs. 1000/-|
Please find below the online application process:
- Step 1 – First-time registration for the NET exam on the official website.
- Step 2 – Complete the application form by filling the personal and educational details online.
- Step 3 – Uploading of required documents.
- Step 4 – Online application fee payment.
The last date to submit the online application for June 2021 is 6 September 2021.
Candidates can also check the step-by-step process to submit the NET application form.
National Testing soon going to release the Admit Card for the June 2021 cycle. All candidates can download their Admit Card from the official website. For more details about how to download the Admit Card, you may check the NET Admit Card link. There will be important information printed on the Admit Card such as exam center, exam date, shift timing, candidates name, etc.
Please ensure that all information that is printed there is correct as per your educational documents and ID proof. If you found any mismatch in the information printed on the Admit Card then you must contact the examination authority immediately. Contact information is available at the end of this article.
NET Cut Off
Cut Off will be released by the exam conducting authority after the exam. NET Cut Off will be made available along with the result and a separate cut-off will be released for “JRF & Assistant Professor both” and “Assistant Professor only”. Candidates will have to secure minimum qualifying marks in order to be eligible for the exam for further process. Minimum qualifying marks are given below.
|Category||Percentage of Marks|
|SC, ST, OBC (belonging to Non-Creamy Layer, PwD, and Transgender||35% aggregate marks|
|General (Unreserved)||40% aggregate marks|
Check the full details about the UGC NET Cut Off at the linked article.
Schedule of Examination:
The exam date for the NET June 2021 exam has been shared by the NTA. National Testing Agency will conduct the exam from 17th to 25th October 2021. The exam duration will be 3 hours without any break in between Paper-1 and Paper-2. Please find the below-given details about the examination scheme for exam day.
|Events||First Shift||Second Shift|
|Timing of Examination hours||09.00 am- 12.00||03.00 pm- 06.00 pm|
|Entry into the Examination Centre||08.30 am||02.30 pm|
|Entry in the Examination Hall/Room||08.45 am||02.45 pm|
|Instructions by the invigilators||08.45 am||02.45 pm|
|Test Start||09.00 am||03.00 pm|
|Test Ends||12.00 pm||06.00 pm|
All candidates are advised to reach the examination center at least 2 hours before the exam. Candidates will not be permitted to enter the Examination Center after 8.30 am in First Shift and after 1.30 pm in Second Shift.
- The eligibility for ‘Assistant Professor’ or for ‘Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor’ will depend on the performance of the candidate in both the papers of UGC-NET in aggregate.
- The candidates qualifying for the Assistant Professor post will not be considered for the award of JRF.
- Candidates are strictly advised to choose ‘Assistant Professor’ or ‘Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor’ post wisely while submitting the online application form.
- Candidates who qualify for the Test for eligibility for Assistant Professor will be governed by the rules and regulations for the recruitment of Assistant Professor of the concerned universities/colleges/state governments.
- All candidates who cleared the NET exam for JRF can pursue their research in the post-graduation subject or in a related subject. They will also be eligible for Assistant Professor. Further, Reputed Indian universities, institutions, IITs, and other national organizations may select the JRF to qualify candidates for full-time research work.
- Candidates qualifying for the award of JRF will be eligible to receive a fellowship of UGC under various schemes, subject to their finding placement in universities/IITs/Institutions. The validity period of the fellowship will be three years w.e.f. the date of the issue of the JRF Award Letter.
- For those candidates who have already joined M. Phil. / Ph.D., the date of commencement of fellowship shall be from the date of declaration of NET result or date of their joining, whichever is later.
Reservation in NET Fellowship:
The reservation quota is also applicable in the UGC JRF Fellowship program. Reservation is given as per the reservation policy of the government of India. check below for details for more information.
|OBC (non-creamy layer)||27%|
Exam day guidelines:
Candidates appearing for the June 2021 exam must take care of the important guidelines released by the Government and National Testing Agency.
- Candidates are not allowed to carry personal things like a calculator, Wallet, Geometry Box, Mobile Phone, Camera, Any electronic item, etc.
- Diabetic candidates may carry some items like fruits (Apple, Banana, etc), sugar, medicines.
- Candidates must have a printed copy of the Admit Card and he/She must check all details mentioned on the Admit Card carefully such as Name, Father’s Name, Date of Birth, Photograph, examination center information, etc.
- Reporting time is mentioned on the Admit Card. Candidates must reach the examination center according to their time slot.
- Candidates will not be allowed to leave the examination hall before the closing time. Candidates must return the rough sheet to the invigilator after the exam.
- All candidates must follow the Covid-19 guidelines such as wearing a mask and sanitize their hands.
- Candidates must maintain social distancing guidelines also.
NTA NET official website:
Candidates can check all the important information they are looking for from the official website.
Official website: ugcnet.nta.nic.in
CSIR UGC NET official website: Information related to the CSIR exam will be available on a different website
Official website: csirnet.nta.nic.in
If you are looking for any information or there is an emergency then you may contact the official examination authority at the below-given contact details. There is a dedicated helpline facility started by the NTA which is responsible to solve all queries candidates are facing related to their exam, Admit Card, etc.
|NTA Help Desk||011 40759000|
|Email ID||[email protected]|
Frequently asked questions
Is NET 2020 exam postponed?
Last year the NET June 2020 exam was postponed due to the Coronavirus outbreak and December 2020 exam could not be conducted due to the same reason. Now the exam for the December 2020 cycle is going to be conducted in June 2021 cycle but it is again postponed now due to the second wave of covid-19 coronavirus. New dates will be updated later. Now NTA has merged the December 2020 cycle and June 2021 cycle into a single exam.
What is the NET exam for?
NET exam is conducted two times every year by the National Testing Agency for the Selection of the Assistant Professor and Award of the Junior Research Fellowship in Indian Universities.
Who are eligible for the NET exam?
All post-graduate students are eligible to appear for the NET exam subject to the minimum 55% qualifying marks (50% for SC/ST/OBC/PWD). For the JRF position, there is an Age limit of 30 years as on the eligibility date fixed by the National Testing Agency
How many attempts are there for the NET exam?
If you are applying for the Assistant Professor post then there is no limit on the number of attempts however there is a limit of 3 attempts for the JRF post.
Is NET valid for a lifetime?
Yes, After clearing the NET exam you will receive a NET certificate and you are eligible to apply for the Assistant Professor role in Indian Universities such as IIT, NIT, JNU, etc. You may also apply in top PSUs such as ONGC, NTPC, IOCL, etc.
- Rescheduling of the Examination dates for UGC-NET December 2020 and June 2021 cycles. National Testing Agency, Oct. 01, 2021. Accessed on: Oct.. 02, 2021. [Online]. Available: https://nta.ac.in/Download/Notice/Notice_20211001164530.pdf
- Public Notice Dated: 03.09.2021 Rescheduling of the Examination dates for UGC-NET December 2020 and June 2021 cycle. National Testing Agency, Sept. 03, 2021. Accessed on: Sept. 03, 2021. [Online]. Available: https://nta.ac.in/Download/Notice/Notice_20210903101707.pdf
- Opening of the online portal for submission of Online Application Form for June 2021 UGC-NET. https://nta.ac.in/Download/Notice/Notice_20210811164150.pdf
- UGC NET exam postpone notice on 20th April. https://nta.ac.in/Download/Notice/Notice_20210421075243.pdf
- UGC-NET University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test December 2020 cycle (June 2021) Information Bulletin, National Testing Agency, Feb. 02, 2021. Accessed on: Feb. 02, 2021. [Online]. Available: https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/webinfo/File/GetFile?FileId=56&LangId=P.
- UGC National Eligibility Test December 2020 cycle (June 2021) Public Notice, National Testing Agency, Feb. 02, 2021. Accessed on: Feb. 02, 2021. [Online]. Available: https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/webinfo/File/GetFile?FileId=58&LangId=P.
- Press Release (28 December 2020) NTA Declares Joint CSIR-UGC NET Examination June 2020 Scores, National Testing Agency, Dec. 28, 2020. Accessed on: Dec. 30, 2020. [Online]. Available: https://nta.ac.in/Download/Notice/Notice_20201228225403.pdf.
- PUBLIC NOTICE 01.12.2020 NTA Declares UGC-NET June 2020 Result, National Testing Agency, Nov. 30, 2020. Accessed on: Dec. 16, 2020. [Online]. Available: https://data.nta.ac.in/Download/Notice/Notice_20201201073019.pdf.
- “UGC NET June 2020,” National Testing Agency, Sep. 19, 2020. Accessed on: Sep. 19, 2016. [Online]. Available: https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/webinfo/public/home.aspx.
- Dates of various Examinations to be conducted by National Testing Agency, National Testing Agency, Aug 20, 2020. Accessed: Sep 5, 2020. [Online], Available: https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/WebInfo/Handler/FileHandler.ashx?i=File&ii=669&iii=Y.