UGC NET Exam Eligibility Criteria 2021: After the release of the final result UGC NET 2020 process has been completed. Now candidates may start their preparation for the next June 2021 exam.
If you are planning to apply for the NET June 2021 exam then the first and the most important thing is to check that you are fulfilling all the Eligibility Criteria to become eligible for appearing in the NET exam.
To simplify things we have mentioned the complete Eligibility criteria on this page. Please go through each part of the eligibility criteria before filling the application form online.
NET June 2020 official notification was released on 16th March 2020. All details about the Eligibility Criteria also made available by the UGC along with the official notification.
|NET Exam date|
|UGC NET Cut Off|
|UGC NET exam pattern|
|NET 2021 syllabus|
|NET 2021 Admit Card|
|UGC NET result|
|NET application process|
NET Eligibility Criteria consists the following information.
- Age Limit
- Exemption (Eligibility for Assistant Professor)
- General and General-EWS category candidates who have completed their post-graduation in the subjects specifies by the National Testing Agency in the official notification are eligible to apply. Post-graduation must be completed from any government-recognized university or institution.
- Candidates must secure a minimum of 55% marks in post-graduation if they want to apply for the NET exam. Reserved categories such as Candidates belonging to the Other Backward Classes (Non-creamy Layer), Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), Persons with Disability (PwD), and Transgender category candidates will get a relaxation of 5% in their post-graduation and they are eligible if they secured a minimum of 50% marks in their qualifying exam.
- Candidates who are still studying in their final year of the post-graduation course and who are still waiting for their final result of post-graduation may also apply for the UGC NET exam. However, they will have to share proof of the post-graduation qualifying exam later. These candidates will get 2 years of time to clear their final year exam and provide any proof for the final exam. Until then their selection will be provisional and can be rejected by the UGC if candidates fail to qualify for the final year exam.
- The reserved category candidates such as transgender, ST, SC, OBC, PwD will get some extra benefits mentioned below
- Relaxation in the examination fee
- Relaxation in the Cut Off marks in the corresponding subject
- Relaxation in the Age limit (For JRF)
- Percentage marks in the qualifying exam
Find other details about the NTA UGC NET 2021 exam at the linked article.
Age Limit 2021
Age limit criteria are different for JRF and Assistant Professor. For the Assistant Professor post, there are no maximum UGC NET Age limit criteria defined by the UGC. For JRF the Age limit criteria are maximum of 30 years as of 01.06.2020. Please find below the details.
|Post||Age Limit 2021|
|Assistant Professor||No Age Limit|
Age Relaxation for JRF:
Age relaxation will be given according to the below given criteria.
|OBC (Non-Creamy Layer)||5 Years|
|candidates having experience in any kind of research work (Depends on the duration of the research)||5 years|
|Candidates having an LLM Degree||3 Years|
|candidates belong to the Ex-Servicemen category||5 Years|
List of subjects at post-graduation level and their codes
Candidates can check the post-graduation subjects and their codes given below. This list is also available in the Annexure-IV of the UGC NET official notification.
|Post-graduation Subject||Code||Post-graduation Subject||Code|
|Political Science||802||library and Information Science||852|
|Psychology||804||Comparative Study of Religions||854|
|Sociology||805||Mass Communication and Journalism||855|
|History||806||Performing Arts- Dance/ Drama/ Theatre||856|
|Anthropology||807||Museology & Conservation||857|
|Social Work||810||Tribal and Regional language/ literature||860|
|Defence and Strategic Studies||811||Folk Literature||861|
|Home Science||812||Comparative literature||862|
|Public Administration||813||Sanskrit Traditional Subjects||863|
|linguistics||830||Drawing & Painting||880|
|Chinese||831||Computer Science and Applications||881|
|Gujarati||836||Social Medicine & Community Health||886|
|French||838||History of Art||888|
|German||843||International and Area Studies||893|
|Adult Education/ Continuing Education||845||Human Rights and Duties||895|
|Andragogy I Non Formal Education||846||Tourism Administration and Management||896|
|Arab Culture and Islamic Studies||848||Advaita Vedanta||898|
|labour Welfare/ Personnel Management/|
labour and Social Welfare/
Human Resource Management
- Information Bulletin for UGC NET June 2020, National Testing Agency, Mar. 16, 2020. Accessed on: Jan. 14, 2021. [Online]. Available: https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/WebInfo/Handler/FileHandler.ashx?i=File&ii=308&iii=Y